HOMEMADE PIZZA BAKED IN A DUTCH OVEN
Last Fall of 2022, I attended a school activity with my daughters where we made a pizza baked in a dutch oven. I haven’t heard about this oven before but I learned that it’s like a pot and lid filled with burning charcoal. So when you place the raw pizza inside, the heat from the charcoal is distributed equally, baking both the top and bottom of the pizza.
It is easy to make that I’m sharing with you this magical recipe and most of the ingredients can be bought from the supermarket here in Japan. To make this blog even more interesting, a posted a video on the last part to have a glimpse of how we did it.
INGREDIENTS (FOR FOUR PERSONS)
400 g. flour ( 100 g. for 1 person) 200ml. water (50ml.)
10 g. dry yeast (2.5 g.) 4 g. salt (1g.)
20 g. olive oil (5 g.) pizza sauce, grated cheese, onions, and bell peppers
PREPARING THE DOUGH
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix lightly with bare hands.
- Add olive oil and mix.
- Pour water and mix.
- Knead firmly until hard and smooth.
- Beat the dough by throwing it hard on the table to make it more delicious. You can do this many times.
- Form it into a ball and set it aside for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, divide the dough into 4 equal parts. flatten the dough to make way for toppings.
PREPARING THE TOPPINGS
- Prepare sausage, green peppers, and onions. Cut them into thin pieces that are easy to cook.
- Place the flattened dough on a cooking sheet.
- Spread with pizza sauce, and topped with grated cheese, sausages, green peppers, and onions.
BAKE IN THE DUTCH OVEN
- Move the pizza onto the grill plate of the oven.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once baked, cut the pizza with a pizza cutter.
We really did enjoy the pizza especially since it was freshly baked from the oven. Next in the blog is a gluten-free version of homemade pizza. Stay tuned.